Monday, June 28, 2010

Not saying goodbye

Thursday was my kids last day of school, and one of our favourite teachers Mrs. V is not coming back.  See a year and a half ago Mrs. G the regular teacher went on mat leave, she was amazing.  She had us from the first month of school and my son, he loved her like family.  We were sad she was leaving for some time as Kal had a real connection with her.

Sorry if I have confused you, my kids go to a Montessori school and they are in the Casa program so they have the same teachers for 3 years, from 3 years old to 6 years old.  So that is why the teachers are with them for so many years!

At the beginning of that year when Mrs. G left they brought in Mrs. V part-time so all the kids would be comfortable with her.  She was great, but we were still worried.  But it turned out Mrs. V was amazing, she had this connection with our son that was unlike nothing we have seen before.  He loved her and I think she loved him too.  She would talk about him and get all excited just like we did, it was like she was a proud parent and he was her child.

He would draw for her and she would take it home and put it up on her fridge.  Her kids were grown (although you would never know from looking at her, she always looked amazing and young!) up and her students were like her little kids.  She was sick for a week earlier this year, and he missed her while she was gone.  So much so that when she returned he went into the class and broke into tears when he gave her a big hug.

So as the end of the year approached we knew Mrs. V would probably be moving on to another class or another school.  But so was Kal, he was turning 6 and moving on to grade 1 so even if she stayed he would not have her as a teacher.

Well Friday was the big Family Fun day that the school puts on for everyone to celebrate the end of another great year and the beginning of the summer.  We arrived and saw Mrs. V as soon as we got there and gave her a big hug.  I immediately asked her if she was going to be there for a while because I had a card/gift for her.

The day went on and close to the end I kept looking for her, I asked some of the other teachers who said that yes she was still there, but I could not find her anywhere.  I looked and looked and finally before leaving I asked the principal if she had left and she said she did...

I felt my heart drop...

I didn't get to say goodbye.  I didn't get to thank her for being such an amazing teacher.  I didn't get to tell her how much of an impact she made on my son.

I am sure she knew those things, but I wanted to tell her and give her a great big hug.

I gave my card to the principal and I told her to please give Mrs. V my email as I really wanted to tell her so much more then I wrote in the card, I wanted to tell her so much in person.

I started to tear up thinking that I might never see this woman who loved my son like he was her own, who taught him so much, who understood him and who he is.

Writing this makes me sad... maybe this sounds crazy to some of you, but if you had met her you would understand.

So in case this is my only goodbye...

Mrs. V:  Thank you for being such an amazing teacher and leaving this lasting memory in our hearts.  You touched Kalman in a way that many can't.  We will be forever grateful for everything that you did for him and miss you.  Keep teaching and touching others hearts :) xoxo

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

:( HUGS

That's tough. I'm sure she'll get your message.